Here is one possible Shamanic journey that I would like to share with you. In a watered down sense, the journey process is about shifting our consciousness–merely a perceptual shift, potentially leading us into a transformational experience with reality. We journey to become more conscious and awake during our travels in our material realm, giving us more power and freedom in our lives. Journeying and meditation aid us in becoming the change we want to see in the world. For example, during a journey meditation this week, I encountered a huge whale while swimming as a sea turtle in the ocean. Although the sight of the whale was overwhelming, I allowed myself to hold a position of curiosity and empathy, while simultaneously realizing that the whale meant me no harm. Remembering to be conscious of our breathing helps us calm our anxieties and remain in the present moment as it unfolds, but intentionally without projecting spin onto whatever front comes our way.
- Light incense/candle
- Start by drumming or rattling to a consistent beat in your sacred space.
- Picture a turtle in your imagination.
- Feel and perceive turtle energy in your consciousness.
- Ask turtle for guidance, let go and then follow turtle wherever it takes you during your journey. Be sure to thank turtle for its gift to you.
- Before returning to this reality, it is important to change your beat to a call back for an effective transition. For example, after 10-20 minutes of drumming, I open my eyes and then hit the drum 8 times for 3 repetitions, then 3 times for 3 repetitions and then 7 times for 3 repetitions to signal the end of my journey. But your call back can be in the form of a word, a thought or a mantra that works for you.
- Record what arrives to you from your journey.